About VNS3 Training
The VNS3 Certified Administrator exam is intended for individuals who spend a majority of their time doing customer on-boarding, network design, systems administration, or cloud networking.
The VNS3 Administrator course introduces VNS3. The course begins with overviews of the underlying technology and basics of launching and configuring the software from either AWS or Azure cloud. Building on the strong cloud and networking fundamentals from the VNS3 Associate course, this level will dive directly into using, customizing, and troubleshooting VNS3 networks in cloud.
Who We Are
Cohesive Networks is passionate about both learning and sharing knowledge with our team, customers, partners and community. Our virtual networking software helps over 2,100 customers in 22 countries get their businesses connect and secure the data that matters most to them.
VNS3 is changing the way enterprises secure and connect applications in the cloud. We are more than happy to help you educate and assist your end customers at any point along the journey.
Why get certified?
This exam validates your ability to:
- Create and troubleshoot cloud-based networks using VNS3 and security tools.
- Manage VNS3-dependent projects
- Provide guidance on VNS3 best practices to end customer business unit leaders and system administrators throughout the lifecycle of a project.
- Troubleshoot network and connectivity issues common to cloud based network configurations.
Grading and Timing
This course can be online-only or a combination of online and in-person. We estimate the course will take 10 hours to complete. This includes the videos, reading materials and some suggested external documentation cited in the course.
There is a 1 hour time limit to the final exam. The course modules are designed to build on existing knowledge, so the exams are “open-book”. All questions are limited to 1 submission attempt. After examinees attempt a question there is an option to check the answer.
This course will cover three Domains. Each Domain section will have a quiz, for 10% of the total grade. Each Domain section will have a hands-on lab, combined for a total of 25% of the final grade. The last section is the final exam which counts as 45% of the total grade. Students must get at least 60% correct to pass the course.
- Lab assignments: 25%
- Domain quizzes: 30%
- Final exam: 45%
While not required, it is highly recommended to have excellent understanding of:
- Networking with route tables, access control lists, firewalls, NAT, HTTP, DNS, IP and OSI Network,
- A strong understanding on how network devices interact with VNS3, including Cisco Systems, Juniper, WatchGuard, Dell SONICWALL, Netgear, Fortinet, Barracuda Networks, Check Point, Zyxel USA, McAfee Retail, Citrix Systems, Hewlett Packard, D-Link, Palo Alto Networks, OpenSwan, pfSense, and Vyatta
- A good understanding of security features and tools that VNS3 builds upon and interacts with, including OpenVPN, LibreSwan, Ubuntu, Docker, and Linux containers
- Work experience with information and application security including public key encryption, SSH, access credentials, and X.509 certificates as well as cloud security’s shared responsibility model
- Hands-on experience with VNS3 overlay networks, clientpacks, firewall rules, VNS3 CI, and the VNS3 web UI
Patrick Kerpan is a co-founder and CEO of Cohesive Networks. He responsible for directing product, technology and sales strategy. Prior to 2013 Mr. Kerpan was also CTO. Mr. Kerpan has more than 20 years of software and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he was the CTO of Borland Software Corp which he joined through the acquisition of Bedouin, Inc., a company he founded. Before founding Bedouin, Mr. Kerpan was a managing director responsible for derivatives technology at multiple global investment banks.
Patrick Kerpan is a recognized Cloud and networking thought leader, and frequently presents and writes for technology events and publications.
Margaret Valtierra is the Senior Marketing Specialist at Cohesive Networks. She is responsible for growing Cohesive’s awareness through digital and written content creation, public relations, and community events. She organizes the Chicago AWS user group and DevOps Days Chicago. Previously, Margaret was VP of Operations at GreenPoint Partners, a sustainability consulting company for commercial real estate. Margaret has a BSM from Tulane University and is an Amazon AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate. She also holds a Cloud Security Alliance (CSA) Certificate of Cloud Security Knowledge.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to have public cloud experience to start this course?
Yes. This course assumes you've taken the VNS3 Associte course or you are very familiar with AWS or Azure. This course focus on VNS3 with more in-looks at underlying technologies and common use cases. Familiarity with IPsec devices will help, along with the ability to launch test instances/VMs in cloud.
Can I skip this course if I feel comfortable with VNS3?
No. You will not get credit for any VNS3 training if you skip quizes or tests in this course.
Do I need to be certified as an AWS Architect, CCNA, or other professional recognition?
No. This course will focus on topics and troubleshooting skills specific to VNS3. Knowledge and experience with networking, public cloud computing, and enterprise security can help you, and we suggest studying relevant materials from other sources before diving into VNS3 Training.
What resources will I need to study and test?
A reliable, high speed internet connection, your favorite command line editor, and public cloud accounts will all help you succeed with VSN3.
Ability to access and test in a virtualized environment such as Amazon AWS or Microsoft Azure.